New office internet on its way

Started by Dieselboy, February 28, 2016, 08:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

We have a 20M fibre internet from an ISP here in Australia, and the CEO wanted me to get a quote for a upgrade to 40M. Our AM came back to us and said it would be an additional $240 per month, but not only that - since we have a Telstra tail, they would need to run their own new fibre as we're on an old set up and it would also cost us $11k for new fibre.

So I went and got quotes elsewhere and we can get 50MB internet, IPv4 and IPv6 for just over $800 per month for 36 months and free install from Telstra. So guess what's going live next week :)
I'm expecting them to utilise the Telstra fibre already run in.

Not only that, the CEO was so pleased he's getting the same service run to his home. Before I obtained the quote above, the CEO was looking at getting our current ISP to install a 10M service in his home. The ISP said they have their fibre not too far away from his home. But then they sent Telstra to do a site survery in running Telstra fibre.

Not too happy with our AM at the current ISP, and their support team have had many failings in the last two years. We will get internet drops of around 30 seconds which causes our firewalls to failover and our VOIP to drop. Every time I've logged these tickets I am told they cannot see anything wrong. My response is basically, well look harder as there was / is a problem.
But lying to us saying they need to run their own fibre and then getting Telstra to do the fibre run is not really looking after your customer.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

I forgot to mention that the new service is half the price per month than the current service (currently $1600 per month, will be $800 per month).

So since there is around $800 per month going spare, I'll see if that can be sent to my wage packet!

:awesome:

:rofl:

wintermute000

1600 per month for 20M transit - that is bend over pricing (or a 4 year old contract and nobody's bothered to ask for updated terms!).

Dieselboy

Quote from: wintermute000 on February 29, 2016, 04:26:22 AM
1600 per month for 20M transit - that is bend over pricing (or a 4 year old contract and nobody's bothered to ask for updated terms!).

Yep, coming up to the 3 year mark. it was 1500 per month for 10M. They wanted over 800 per month for a new 10M fibre to the CEOs home.

dlots

so more than doubling your bandwidth for 1/2 the price.  NICE!!