First Networking Job!

Started by Ether, January 15, 2015, 10:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ether

Just got the call, hired as an IT Apprentice Engineer, starting Feb 2. The company is Atrion and apparently its the first recognized IT apprenticeship in the US. Its a year long deal with 12 weeks of classroom training with the rest of the year as an OJT. The program is heavily focused on Cisco, but also some server and VMware I believe. Anyways, just thought id brag about my good fortune, im extreeeeemmeeelly excited to get to work, as most of you know its not easy getting that first networking gig these days w/o experience. Ill try and post some updates about the journey. Back to the shadows I go, need to get this CCNA done yesterday lol. :matrix:  :banana:  8)

Seittit

congratulations, be prepared to study you buns off.

Atrum

Congratz! The important part is to always continue learning and improving. Far too many people in networking get comfortable and stop improving themselves. GL on the future career

Ether

Thanks guys! Im right there with you all, knowledge is key in this business. Already have a lab going at home that should be good through NP studies, pluralsight subscription for video content, and a library of tech books in my dungeon. Between here and techexams, I should be able to stay on top of the education battle.

deanwebb

Awesome news! Anything we can help you with, we'll tell you to run a Google search on and then help you with it! :awesome:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Ether

:rofl: Ive spent the last 6ish years doing tier1/2/3ishhhhhh support, I can confidently say that google allowed me to last that long! But once I know it, I KNOW it, I love this stuff, paycheck is just a perk... :professorcat:

dlots

Awesome

just try and learn as much as you can from anyone who will teach you.

Ether

Will do, thanks for the advice.

Ironman

Congrats!!!! As a Rhode Islander I have heard of Atrion and know a few people who got into the apprenticeship! Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

Munchbox

Dude, Congrats! I got in too!

Look forward to seeing you there!

Ether

Congrats bro! I'm hyped on this.