Vwmare allowing Cisco cert holders to bypass prerequisites VCP-NV (NSX cert)

Started by wintermute000, January 15, 2015, 06:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

Vwmare allowing Cisco cert holder to bypass prerequisites for VCP-NV (NSX)
Only valid until end of Feb though - not sure if I will make it + haven't really looked at whether you can lab NSX properly @ home (the latter is more or less the key IMO, well, at least if you're the kind of person who takes certs seriously as opposed to doing the unmentionable)

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=51111&ui=www_cert

Langly

Bah to this and making people take the class for the cert. Don't have time to hammer this out before end of feb but I'll definitely get this cert done sometime. Vmware tests are normally crappy though "where do you go in this portion of the GUI to do XYZ" and you have to give their book example. Any other method isn't the best way to do it and you miss the question

wintermute000

Yeah the making people take the class bit is unconscionable. I would otherwise be loading up for a VCP run right now, I've built my environment three times (on two different sets of gear - first nested on one mega-box of doom, then rebuilt nested with Nexus-1k, now on three physical hosts and real switches), I would just need a month of brush-up / theory cramming. 

wintermute000

Bump, this offer is back, expiry Jan 31st 2016.

Definitely having a crack.... NSX looks amazing.
Side benefit: by doing this, you get the VCP-NV which acts as a pre-req for VCP-DCV so you bypass their mandatory training requirement entirely!

Otanx

Glad to see this is back. This will give me time to study. I didn't have time in January/February to get it.

-Otanx

Reggle

routerdork

What did you end up using for this cert? I'm a bit late in the game but thinking of pushing forward on it. I see that actual VMware Press book isn't yet released for the new exam.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

wintermute000

1.) do all the HOL labs
2.) Some guy put up a great series of notes (not a dump, actual notes) - https://richdowling.wordpress.com/vcp-nv/
3.) read the design guide three times and read it again
4.) stand up your own nested NSX. Then do it again :) Anything you're unclear, try to refer back to actual Vmware doco

its not the hardest exam in the world once you've stood up an environment a few times. I probably spent around 2-3 days solid labbing in addition to reading.
I also got a lot of value of out breaking my first lab accidentally, and then having to learn all the gory troubleshooting / CLI commands and exactly what component does what.
incidentally NSX 6.2 does away with a lot of that with a centralised CLI from the manager pushing out restAPI calls for show commands etc., but that's another discussion

routerdork

Sweet. Thanks for the help on that. I also see that you have an IE in your certs list now. Congrats!
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

wintermute000

thanks. Protip : memorise the upgrade path/version BS that is outlined in the study notes (e.g. what version of blah blah blah can upgrade to blah blah blah) thats easy points but if u haven't memorised it ur toast