www.networking-forums.com Youtube Channel

Started by Seittit, January 13, 2015, 09:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seittit

Quote from: hizzo3 on January 12, 2015, 09:40:40 PM
Quote from: deanwebb on January 10, 2015, 08:16:02 AM
"Build your own VM" is crazy talk to someone that doesn't build VMs. One of you would like to write up a step-by-step on getting the stuff on GNS3 to talk to the live network?
There are quite a few guides out there... Maybe we can improve on it somehow... Videos maybe?

I've seen lab build designs requested on almost every forum I'm active on. If Networking-Forums.com wants good exposure, a killer YouTube series with multiple lab setup videos would be perfecto.

Not willing to do the heavy lifting by myself, but I'd gladly contribute to the effort.

deanwebb

:challenge-accepted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwKLdTC3hJxtk1jMl8SvcA/feed

If you want to create videos for it, I'll need your Google+ account so I can add it to the channel as a manager.

Content requirements: Nothing dangerous, illegal, sick, insane, or obscene. No copyright violations, no vendor bashing, no vendor promotional materials, no reading powerpoints.

If you're going to talk to the camera, make sure the lighting is good, the sound is good, and that you've got something to show besides your face and hands. If you use diagrams and step-by-step stuff in your video, use your own work, not a scan of page 447 of the CCNA guide or stuff like that. Also, give serious thought to editing out time in between steps instead of rambling on while you wait for the new IOS image to load or stuff like that. If your video is 15 minutes long because your system took 12 minutes to boot up, your video is probably 12 minutes too long.

We're amateurs, the channel is new, so we can make stuff that isn't all whoooosh and swiiiiish and BAM!. Our audience is probably looking for stuff that isn't rotating, set to early 90's power pop, or that looks like it's trying to sell a series of videos with even more content. (If a vendor approaches one or more of us to produce a series of videos with even more content, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.)

Script out your video before recording it. You don't need to follow the script 100% to make the video, but sticking to it more or less will keep it focused, as well as make for a good thing to paste into the description of the video so folks can read the notes after the video, should you want to provide those.

We can always delete/re-shoot any video we, as a community, thinks is a sucky video. If anyone says that your video sucks, pull it. Fix it. This goes for me, too. Better to not have any video at all than a video that sucks. Don't be a prima donna about it: take the suggestions, fix the video, and get back in the game.

Videos that suck are ones where it's hard to see or hear what's going on, hard to follow, contains inaccurate material, or is too much like a marketing video. A product review is nice and could lead to a sale, but we have to be ready to admit faults about the product and not be fanboys about it.

Videos that express an opinion other than yours do not suck. Let's all remember to be supportive of each other and encouraging of all networkers in general.

One exception to marketing is for a video submitter's own work. If you've written a book or made a video series in the networking field, feel free to plug it at the end of the video and in the description. You go, boy!

Feel free to mention www.networking-forums.com as often as you like and to post a link to it in your video submission.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3Ivp_os_U

Second video: choosing a specialization in networking. Basic stuff, but now we have it up. Onward!

Seittit

Google+?!?

Pfff.

What about IOU? If we leave off the secret Python script thing it may be in the clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Netwörkheäd

I am such a non-programmer that "secret Python script" sounds to me like a major discovery in the field of British comedy archaeology.

YouTube uses Google+. Man up and connect your account to the channel so we can have multiple contributors.
Let's not argue. Let's network!

deanwebb

Quote from: Seittit on January 17, 2015, 09:41:53 PM
Google+?!?

Pfff.

What about IOU? If we leave off the secret Python script thing it may be in the clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you walk through labs on an IOU setup, that would be fine. I don't think the platform matters as much as the walkthrough. There were times I was prepping for stuff I couldn't lab, so I watched the video for that topic, memorized the lines of code, and then wrote them out in Notepad over and over and over again until I had them memorized. I had the theory, no problem. I just needed to be familiar with the commands.

dlots

I assume if we put it onto the networking-forums channel we can still put it on our own channels also?

deanwebb

dlots is now added as a manager. dlots, I will email you the splash screen for intros/outros.

And, yes, I'm not demanding any control of content... but if you do post on your own channel, wouldn't hurt to get a plug in forums.

You own what you share. I'm not Facebook.  :wub:

deanwebb

Added video on sysadmin to network guy http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=ozlClC6MW1c

and on troubleshooting firewall rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hkytxpYXE

Created playlists for "network security" "firewalls" and "career advice". As you add videos, feel free to add them to playlists for their categories.

Also, be sure to get into the advanced settings to permit only approved comments.

Seittit

Dean,

I've made a couple >5min videos on Kali Linux. What are my next steps?

deanwebb

PM me your Google+ ID and I'll set you up as a manager.

deanwebb

Latest update... Settit's "free CCIE lab" video raced to the top of the charts! It's #1 with a bullet.

PROTIP: having the words "free CCIE" in your video title will make it very popular amongst the networking crowd out there...

Seittit

Quote from: deanwebb on February 10, 2015, 03:36:16 PM
PROTIP: having the words "free CCIE" in your video title will make it very popular amongst the networking crowd out there...

it's almost as powerful as "Free Beer"

Otanx

There are only three things that can make me run.

1. Someone shouting Fire!
2. Someone shouting Free Beer!
3. Someone shouting The Free Beer is on Fire!

-Otanx