The 10 Networking Commandments

Started by RTFM, January 16, 2015, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTFM

The 10 Networking Commandments

1. Thou shalt above all, maintain the integrity of the network.
2. Thou shalt have a long term strategic direction.
3. Thou shalt always opt for quality before expediency.
4. Thou shalt meet the requirements, exceed the expectations and anticipate
    the needs of users.
5. Thou shalt benefit from a successful implementation by careful project
    planning.
6. Thou shalt provide reliability, availability and serviceability.
7. Thou shalt maintain detailed, timely and accurate documentation.
8. Thou shalt commit to continuous training.
9. Thou shalt test in a test environment.
10. Thou shalt install and label cables properly.

Source:  http://condor.depaul.edu/jkristof/10nc.txt
show ip route x.x.x.x   % Network not in table

deanwebb

And behold, and lo! there was much wailing and gnashing of the teeth, for they did not keep the commandments of networking. Verily, verily there was much oversubscription and the Voice guys did cry out, "Wo, wo are we, for we have no QoS!"
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

that1guy15

All my CCIE and cert training has taught me is to type quick and fast and any setup should be as complex as possible with as many IGPS as you can pack in there.

Also I love new and shinny so why not replace my DC core switches every year with the bleeding edge? Might as well go full SDN (whatever that means) since I have the budget!

Sheesh do you just not want me to have any fun?

That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

don't get me started on the 'stupid router tricks' angle of a lot of the CCIE syllabus. I understand that they're trying to test in depth knowledge of a protocol etc. but it helps nobody to be making up completely unscalable, unsupportable routing band-aids due to artificial limitations on commands that any sane person would use and solve the problem perfectly. It also doesn't teach you good design/best practice. Once I do get my digits then I'll rant properly as I'm not really entitled to do that as yet lol

sgtcasey

One reason CCIE does that, it was explained to me, is because when you're out in the world you'll come across all sorts of horrible network design done by people who have almost zero actual knowledge of networking and how to make it work efficiently.

A great example is the place I work now.  When I arrived here I discovered the first day or so that spanning-tree was disabled.  Completely.  On.  Every.  Single.  Network.  Device.  My first documented change was to turn it all back on.  It certainly dropped the number of P1 tickets for an end-user induced loop in the network easily stopped by enabling bpduguard.

Some of the CCIE training I've done, and it's very limited so far, is the instructor would ask the class to accomplish a task.  Once we did he would say now forget how you just did it and find another way.  And so on.  It taught me there is usually more than one way to make something happen on a network and while most ways are not as good as the "right way" you'll probably find all sorts of stuff out there and should be prepared to work around or with it.
Taking the sh out of IT since 2005!

Seittit

Quote from: sgtcasey on January 21, 2015, 05:07:32 PM
When I arrived here I discovered the first day or so that spanning-tree was disabled.  Completely.  On.  Every.  Single.  Network.  Device.

my jaw dislocated when I read this.

that1guy15

One reason CCIE does that, it was explained to me, is because when you're out in the world you'll come across all sorts of horrible network design done by people who have almost zero actual knowledge of networking and how to make it work efficiently.

A great example is the place I work now.  When I arrived here I discovered the first day or so that spanning-tree was disabled.  Completely.  On.  Every.  Single.  Network.  Device.  My first documented change was to turn it all back on.  It certainly dropped the number of P1 tickets for an end-user induced loop in the network easily stopped by enabling bpduguard.

Some of the CCIE training I've done, and it's very limited so far, is the instructor would ask the class to accomplish a task.  Once we did he would say now forget how you just did it and find another way.  And so on.  It taught me there is usually more than one way to make something happen on a network and while most ways are not as good as the "right way" you'll probably find all sorts of stuff out there and should be prepared to work around or with it.

Yep that is my view of the CCIE. Also since you are exposed to every knob and feature of the technology you also get experience with what not to do and why. This helps avoid disasters before they get implemented. IMO most well archetected and ran networks do not need a CCIE on staff. Maybe for very large, complex shops sure but if the network is setup properly that level of knowledge is not needed.

CCIEs walk in and fix the shit CCNAs fuck up at $500+ an hour  :)
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

wintermute000

deanwebb

Quote from: Seittit on January 21, 2015, 05:35:16 PM
When I arrived here I discovered the first day or so that spanning-tree was disabled.  Completely.  On.  Every.  Single.  Network.  Device.

my jaw dislocated when I read this.

That inspired me to create this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMS_ud2f1wU
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

hizzo3

Fred