Why is it so difficult to find products on Cisco.com?

Started by Dieselboy, March 17, 2016, 03:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselboy

I'm trying to find / select an access switch. Their website is so complex again that it makes it very time consuming and difficult.

Should I log a tac case? :)

Reggle

I actually use google search for it, which redirects me to a page in Cisco.com every time.
Honestly, Juniper is not much more clear about what's an access switch on their website as well.

deanwebb

I had a beast of a time trying to find the firewall guy at the Cisco booth at RSA. Everything they have seems hard to sort through... :banana:
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

that1guy15

What specifically are you getting hung up on? Even from the home page I can drill down to Enterprise Access switches within 2-4 clicks. Pretty straight forward to me.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

deanwebb

Quote from: that1guy15 on March 17, 2016, 11:26:49 AM
What specifically are you getting hung up on? Even from the home page I can drill down to Enterprise Access switches within 2-4 clicks. Pretty straight forward to me.

Spec sheets, I guess. Need to compare enterprise with SMB, I guess in addition to my first guess.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

Dieselboy

Our current 2960S-48 gig full POE (POE+) is EOL.

I need a 48 port gig switch, with POE+ but 370W is fine as we only have 3 POE devices which are 6W and 12W. We will expand most likely on the POE. I only need something basic as an access switch for the remote office.

I've found a WS-C2960X-48LPD-L which is the replacement for the 2960S. There's deals on this at the moment too. <$4k.

I could possibly do with a switch with less features, but without first trying one to see; I'm not sure if it's worth me taking the risk then running into issues later on.

Reggle

SimonV

They are, recommended a couple a few months back only to discover the next month that they were EoL. Thanks to our supplier for not telling us.

Quote from: Reggle on March 17, 2016, 04:58:33 AM
Honestly, Juniper is not much more clear about what's an access switch on their website as well.

I guess you can use all of them as access switches, depending on the requirements and budget. A Layer 3 2200 with 24 x Gig will set you back less than 1K

routerdork

Quote from: Dieselboy on March 17, 2016, 09:33:30 PM
Our current 2960S-48 gig full POE (POE+) is EOL.

I need a 48 port gig switch, with POE+ but 370W is fine as we only have 3 POE devices which are 6W and 12W. We will expand most likely on the POE. I only need something basic as an access switch for the remote office.

I've found a WS-C2960X-48LPD-L which is the replacement for the 2960S. There's deals on this at the moment too. <$4k.

I could possibly do with a switch with less features, but without first trying one to see; I'm not sure if it's worth me taking the risk then running into issues later on.
At my last place we were using the 2960X's for access. We're also using them here at my current place. I've got no issues with them so far. I believe its's the 48 port FPD-L model that I'm currently deploying so that we have 10G ports for later use.
"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

wintermute000

2960x is solid IMO but you could probably get away with a cheaper brocade, juniper ex2200 or procurve