TShoot

Started by dlots, March 24, 2016, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlots

Forgot how horrid and fun TShoot could be, almost failed it won't let me run most of the commands I like to run, I find it REALLY hard to tshoot a L2 connection if I can't look at the MAC address table and arp tables.  They also fixed it so you can't check your answers anymore... In spite of all it's many many many shortcomings it was still more fun than any other exam I have taken, and I got all my non-retired certs renewed.

deanwebb

Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

dlots

that1guy15

Nice congrats!!

I always wanted to take the TSHOOT. oh well.

What are you looking at now? CCIE???
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

icecream-guy

cert book reads like a million things could be the problem, I suppose time management is key with the number of tasks and time allowed to complete.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

dlots

I already had the NP, just taking that again to renew my certs. 

If anyone cares over on dhimes.com I have a set of practice Tshoot questoins I made long long ago when tshoot 1st begain (after my 1st fail)

don't rely on any commands other than show run and show  spanning-tree, cause they probably don't work.

Best tip I can give you without breaking the NDA is step 1 ping the default gateway, if you can't it's probably layer 2, if you can it's probably layer 3

Working on my degree currently, then the CCIE I think

icecream-guy

Finally finished that book, intimidating with 800 pages+ and everything that can go wrong in a troubleshooting scenario,
I did watch the TSHOOT online demo video, I thought it would be more hands on, but the video makes is seem like the exam is much easier than a hands on troubleshooting scenario would be, and I don't like the cascaded questions, questions that rely on your previous answers, i.e. makes me think that if one gets the first one wrong and the whole ticket is wrong. I still don;'t know why Cisco is hugging on to the frame-relay technology.

Working on installing GNS3, since my lab doesn't support 15.x, and making some sort of spreadsheet that can list possible issues for each troubleshooting scenario.

that1guy15

Quote from: ristau5741 on April 28, 2016, 11:10:55 AM
Finally finished that book, intimidating with 800 pages+ and everything that can go wrong in a troubleshooting scenario,
I did watch the TSHOOT online demo video, I thought it would be more hands on, but the video makes is seem like the exam is much easier than a hands on troubleshooting scenario would be, and I don't like the cascaded questions, questions that rely on your previous answers, i.e. makes me think that if one gets the first one wrong and the whole ticket is wrong. I still don;'t know why Cisco is hugging on to the frame-relay technology.

Working on installing GNS3, since my lab doesn't support 15.x, and making some sort of spreadsheet that can list possible issues for each troubleshooting scenario.

If you really want to dig in check out "Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols" Its a little old but is a good read to understand why protocols act the way they do. Also you can run through "IP Routing on Cisco IOS, IOS XE, and IOS XR"

Honestly though these are going to be way overkill for what you need on the TSHOOT exam. With the experience/knowledge you have it should be a pretty easy test.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

icecream-guy

Quote from: that1guy15 on April 28, 2016, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: ristau5741 on April 28, 2016, 11:10:55 AM

If you really want to dig in check out "Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols" Its a little old but is a good read to understand why protocols act the way they do. Also you can run through "IP Routing on Cisco IOS, IOS XE, and IOS XR"

Honestly though these are going to be way overkill for what you need on the TSHOOT exam. With the experience/knowledge you have it should be a pretty easy test.

yeah, but I've taken enough Cisco tests to be paranoid, you know the stuff, like those questions that they have native English speakers translate into Japanese, then give it to native Japanese speakers translate same back to English. and it goes right into the test as is. and the ones where the over complicate simple concepts.  yecch.

That and sometimes Cisco tests are more about the nuances of the English language, than about the technology.

that1guy15

That1guy15
@that1guy_15

dlots

Yep, the configs are diffrent and the questions IMO are alot harder, but the command set is about the same.

icecream-guy

Quote from: that1guy15 on April 28, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
Have you checked out the test simulator? I hear its pretty damn close.
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/le3/le2/le37/le10/tshoot_demo.html

nah, I don't run Adobe Flash due to the number of vulnerabilities, 

did find a video of it.  makes it look easy.

I suppose one could look at it as a puzzle, all the pieces are there, all one has to do is go find them.

SimonV

GNS3vault.com has the topology in GNS3. Not sure if it's still current though

icecream-guy

Quote from: SimonV on April 29, 2016, 08:31:34 AM
GNS3vault.com has the topology in GNS3. Not sure if it's still current though

Cisco never made the newer topology public for the 2.0 version
I suppose I'll have to install GNS3 this weekend, and get a couple of 7206's running 15.x

icecream-guy

side tracked today, trying to install GNS3 in a virtualbox.
but I installed GNS3 first.
we'll actually trying to figure out how to boot the virtual server into windows.