Main Menu

Bad 6509

Started by dlots, March 30, 2016, 08:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlots

Do you know if that an error Cisco's GOLD will find?

diagnostic start system test non-disruptive

diagnostic start system test all
Running test(s) may disrupt normal operation
Do you want to continue? [no]: yes

show diagnostic result module all

Otanx

That was one notice I was always worried we would hit. We had close to 100 devices that fell under that. Never had one fail (knock on wood). I think we have 10 devices left. All others were refreshed last year as part of a network upgrade.

-Otanx

mlan

Yeah, I believe we have lost over fifty 2821's from this memory failure.  Thankfully, you could just pop in a new SDRAM module to resolve the issue in a pinch.  Cisco has been good about replacing them, but they will only replace-on-fail.  I am hoping to replace our 6509's before I have to reload them again, but I'm not holding my breath.  I am fully expecting both the sup720-3C's and all the line cards to fail on the next reload.

icecream-guy

Quote from: mlan on April 26, 2016, 04:16:58 PM
Yeah, I believe we have lost over fifty 2821's from this memory failure.  Thankfully, you could just pop in a new SDRAM module to resolve the issue in a pinch.  Cisco has been good about replacing them, but they will only replace-on-fail.  I am hoping to replace our 6509's before I have to reload them again, but I'm not holding my breath.  I am fully expecting both the sup720-3C's and all the line cards to fail on the next reload.

ProTip: Open a Proactive TAC case before the upgrade, explain that you are upgrading a device that is affected by the memory issue, include a show inventory in the case, have TAC verify replacement parts for the system you are upgrading, making sure they are in stock at your local depot. So in case of failure so you aren't stuck with NBD when you have 4 hours turnaround.

I've been doing this process for some time, due to devices / cards / module failing on reboot, either related to unrelated to the memory issues, sometimes things just don't come up right.  Not had any problems with TAC opening a case for this either.

I've still got 95 pieces of hardware that are affected by the memory issue in production, and yes we had AS look everything up, sent them a list of hardware inventory,  I assume they used serial numbers to identify manufacture date / location or something like that to produce a list for us.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.