do we need another linkedin circle-jerk group that's distinct from the old place

Started by wintermute000, April 07, 2016, 10:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wintermute000

Just checked, the networking-forum (no 's') group in linkedin has over 4k members including lots of non-engineers (I see recruiters in there....).

Do you guys think its a good idea to kick off a group that's more representative of the active members of this successor site?

Nerm

Fine with me. Maybe we could name the group something cool like "Network Ninja's" lol.

deanwebb

I agree to the group on LinkedIn, but we need a more professional name. Because LinkedIn.

I did think of Professional International Networking Group (PING), but that would either confuse us with the golf equipment manufacturer or lead people to draw a conclusion that perhaps we're just ICMP-focused.

So... let's go with who we are... International... Networkers... Professionals... and Security... an Association...

IANSP : International Association of Network and Security Professionals. Google search shows only Ian Springett's Twitter handle and a political group in Bangladesh that has 0 likes on its FB page would be the only things potentially confused with that acronym.

So that's my suggestion for an acronym. We should chip in with others, then vote on them.

After the vote, we would need to do the following:
1. Make a logo for it, suitable for inclusion on business cards, powerpoint slide decks, LinkedIn group pages, forum pages here.
2. Draw up some membership rules. The group is affiliated with this forum, but membership of this forum is not automatic membership in the group. One must post here, for example.
3. While we're at it... have a purpose and a charter. This should be brief, but helps to formalize who we are and what we do. Basically, we are a body of professionals that get together online for professional support, socialization, and career development. We welcome juniors in the field and offer mentorship though interactions on the forums. Stuff like that.

Once we have those things together, we'll be a bonafide professional organization. *That* will look sharp on a resume/LinkedIn page.

Membership, like access to this forum, should always be free. No one vendor will have an undue association with the professional group, no matter how much we may like that particular vendor.

If we can think up of some membership benefits, that would also be cool, but not necessary.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

routerdork

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity." -Abraham Lincoln

SimonV

Haha, dean, sometimes I wonder if you're being sarcastic  :twisted: I volunteer to handle all membership fees

deanwebb

Quote from: SimonV on April 08, 2016, 08:40:11 AM
Haha, dean, sometimes I wonder if you're being sarcastic  :twisted: I volunteer to handle all membership fees
No sarcasm, at all. I firmly believe in all-volunteer organizations dedicated towards excellence in a given field.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on April 08, 2016, 08:33:34 AM

I did think of Professional International Networking Group (PING), but that would either confuse us with the golf equipment manufacturer or lead people to draw a conclusion that perhaps we're just ICMP-focused.

perhaps net-worker's that play golf  :)

:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

Nerm

deanwebb

wintermute000

Quote from: deanwebb on April 08, 2016, 08:51:11 AM
No sarcasm, at all. I firmly believe in all-volunteer organizations dedicated towards excellence in a given field.

The  First Annual  Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxgkb_lYJJE

Seriously, PING is a good fit though. Lets be serious, every acronym out there is taken by someone somewhere in some field. The military alone probably has 99% of it (the rest is networking acronyms).

deanwebb

OK, sounds like we like PING, so PING it is. :awesome:

RULES OF PING CLUB

1. Talk a lot about PING. Networking is a great field and we'd like more people to get involved.

deanwebb

Sorry, dudes, PING wasn't available. So I had to go with IANSP.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8514436

Logo and other stuff will be forthcoming. If you're not already LinkedIn with me, https://www.linkedin.com/in/zzzptm is where to go. I'll approve membership requests until such time as I make others that join into admins for the group.

Nerm

I have submitted my request to join because I want to be in the cool kids club. :)