Perpetual Weekend Thread

Started by deanwebb, April 08, 2016, 08:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanwebb

My brother is having a BBQ on Saturday, fun for the whole family!

And then I get to track NFL results with Ristau...
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

icecream-guy

Quote from: deanwebb on October 06, 2017, 08:52:57 AM

I had crappy pics last week. that's for sure.
:professorcat:

My Moral Fibers have been cut.

deanwebb

Quote from: ristau5741 on October 06, 2017, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: deanwebb on October 06, 2017, 08:52:57 AM

I had crappy pics last week. that's for sure.

I tell you what, after week 3, I decided that the teams playing this year are NOT the teams that played last year. I think after week 4, and for sure after week 5, we're going to have a clearer picture of which teams are playing *this* year. There will be teams with winning records, and then there will be teams with winning records, but with wins only against teams with losing records. If a team can consistently beat other winning teams, that's the one to truly reckon with.

Unless it gets a bunch of injuries, which is why picking GB v Dallas is so damn tricky this week... Dallas' defense recovers after some key players return from IR, and I'm pretty sure Dak and Dez had a come-to-Jesus meeting after the loss to the Rams. For its part, GB has had wins, but only just in some cases.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

deanwebb

Mandatory PTO for my firm for all of Thanksgiving week, so I'm off on a holiday adventure! Happy Thanksgiving to everybody, even if your weekend doesn't start until Wednesday!

deanwebb

Got back from a weekend trip... looking at rebuilding my virtual environment so it can also work better as a fileserver...

wintermute000

I just did that. All-in-one NAS/KVM/docker server. Runs like a dream, now to VMware-to-KVM convert a bunch of Win2012R2 servers. eek

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on November 22, 2017, 05:08:22 AM
I just did that. All-in-one NAS/KVM/docker server. Runs like a dream, now to VMware-to-KVM convert a bunch of Win2012R2 servers. eek

I'm building out a Windows Server 2016 DC so I can make all my family's gear part of an AD domain... so I can scan their stuff with my agentless NAC product...

wintermute000

protip: VMware to KVM conversion is a pain especially if its your single home non-redundant DC. Vcenter basically stops working without the DC/DNS.... you gotta turn off your DC to copy the VMDK across..... Vcenter doesn't work so can't run the standard red hat v2v tooling etc....

deanwebb

... which is why I'm just going to rebuild, not convert/migrate. Easier to demolish and clear the land than to try to do all those intricate repairs.

wintermute000

I only lightbulbed recently re: Vcenter and AD: its the DNS and only the DNS (LDAP aside) that it cares about.
1 DNS container later, full vcenter operation using local account (non LDAP).
Now its backed up with AD primary and the container as the secondary.

You do sometimes learn more trying to convert/migrate. Either way getting Wintel to run on KVM has its own quirks/'vmware-tools' equivalents.

On other topics: docker all the things. You won't regret it.

The below is running the following:
- syslog
- dns
- plex
- openvpn
- docker web UI
- bittorrent sync
- smtp relay

Check the footprint.... then realise everything is nicely separated and ephermeral, I can fire up, upgrade, spin down at will with zero linkage or effects on each other or my base host system libraries or configs

CONTAINER           CPU %               MEM USAGE / LIMIT     MEM %               NET I/O             BLOCK I/O           PIDS
6ec018a12aa7        0.00%               3.996MiB / 31.28GiB   0.01%               2.19MB / 0B         8.7MB / 8.19kB      4
8b1dba94c5ca        0.00%               2.832MiB / 31.28GiB   0.01%               2.2MB / 0B          26.4MB / 16.4kB     1
618ccbe7dadf        0.00%               3.523MiB / 31.28GiB   0.01%               2.37MB / 173kB      6.97MB / 0B         10
9566aca90569        0.00%               5.52MiB / 31.28GiB    0.02%               2.21MB / 12.2kB     12.3MB / 8.19kB     1
6fa3cad4d29b        0.00%               2.395MiB / 31.28GiB   0.01%               2.19MB / 0B         6.17MB / 0B         1
1a8c9109f871        0.56%               373.9MiB / 31.28GiB   1.17%               0B / 0B             207MB / 3.06MB      75
8793be737cbe        0.19%               12.79MiB / 31.28GiB   0.04%               3.83MB / 1.09MB     26.1MB / 53.2kB     14

In other news, I'm daydreaming about an alternate universe where I was an ansible/docker hipster ninja instead of a crusty data plumber who yells at people that mention stretched VLANs.

deanwebb

My rebuilding of my $VENDOR product got put on hold because I need a demo license. When Monday rolls around, I'll be back in business with that.

Now I need to fix up my DNS so that I can join PCs to my local AD domain.

This looks like putting in a manual entry for all my PCs...

wintermute000

wait, you're running a local domain (not just for lab) but you're not joining PCs to it??? WTF

deanwebb

Quote from: wintermute000 on November 25, 2017, 03:01:22 PM
wait, you're running a local domain (not just for lab) but you're not joining PCs to it??? WTF
Well, it's my local PCs joining the local domain. They were all here first, so they don't know to put the IP of the DC as their primary DNS.

Just joined this PC to the domain.

wintermute000

Got my linux bridging and iptables NAT skills re-upped. Now I've gotten rid of my lab vSRX and running all my virtual networks off linux bridges (second NIC) straight into my ESXi.

Next addition: Quagga container because why not.

deanwebb

This coming weekend, I get to leave late Sunday to be at a client site by Monday morning.