1s & 0s-Current Trends in DC Networking - Cumulus Networks

Started by that1guy15, November 08, 2016, 06:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1guy15

Current Trends in DC Networking - Cumulus Networks

Hopefully by now you have heard about Cumulus Networks. If not here is a quick intro.

Cumulus Networks is a full feature Linux distribution for data center (DC) routers and switches. Cumulus Linux is designed to simplify the deployment and automation of DC networks. With that said its not your normal network OS. The configuration and management is more inline with a Debian server than a
Source: Current Trends in DC Networking - Cumulus Networks

From http://blog.movingonesandzeros.net/
That1guy15
@that1guy_15
blog.movingonesandzeros.net

NetworkGroover

Engineer by day, DJ by night, family first always

that1guy15

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on November 10, 2016, 09:50:02 AM
Cumulus is a trend?

Yeah the series title might be a little off. Its leaning more toward whats the current buzz or what everyone is talking about.

Next up will be CoreOS and then Docker and Swarm/Kubernetes or whatever. And those have pretty much just as much traction in that space as well.

I guess if I had to justify the title Id say they are part of the whitebox switching trend.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

deanwebb

Docker is definitely a trend, and I don't mean the brand of trousers. What concerns me most about Docker is that, one, it is very easy to set up and get going; and, two, any Docker process runs with an account that is also active in the host. You got root in Docker? That means you also got root in the host OS.

Easy setup plus instant root for guys that don't know security equals an east-west nightmare.
Take a baseball bat and trash all the routers, shout out "IT'S A NETWORK PROBLEM NOW, SUCKERS!" and then peel out of the parking lot in your Ferrari.
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Вопросы есть? Вопросов нет! | BCEB: Belkin Certified Expert Baffler | "Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Accounting is architecture, remember that!
Air gaps are high-latency Internet connections.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: that1guy15 on November 10, 2016, 10:26:22 PM
Cumulus is a trend?

Yeah the series title might be a little off. Its leaning more toward whats the current buzz or what everyone is talking about.

Next up will be CoreOS and then Docker and Swarm/Kubernetes or whatever. And those have pretty much just as much traction in that space as well.

I guess if I had to justify the title Id say they are part of the whitebox switching trend.

Gotcha. Fair.

NetworkGroover

Quote from: deanwebb on November 11, 2016, 08:53:11 AM
Docker is definitely a trend, and I don't mean the brand of trousers. What concerns me most about Docker is that, one, it is very easy to set up and get going; and, two, any Docker process runs with an account that is also active in the host. You got root in Docker? That means you also got root in the host OS.

Easy setup plus instant root for guys that don't know security equals an east-west nightmare.

Yuck.  Seems to be a trend - see if it works first - secure it later when you feel like it or more likely, are absolutely required to in order to sell it. ;P

that1guy15

Quote from: AspiringNetworker on November 11, 2016, 11:05:26 AM
Quote from: that1guy15 on November 10, 2016, 10:26:22 PM
Cumulus is a trend?

Gotcha. Fair.

also the first part of the series is on VxLAN and am demonstrating with multiple vendors since the DC is not a single option anymore. Didnt get VxLAN in this post because it got long.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15

wintermute000

nice post.

BTW Juniper has now got a container based vSRX. They want you to stitch all your container networking through it. Its probably possible to insert into a devops workflow as well, given that JunOS supports every automation hook under the sun more or less natively (puppet, chef, ansible, python, netconf etc.)

that1guy15

Quote from: wintermute000 on November 15, 2016, 04:13:21 AM
nice post.

BTW Juniper has now got a container based vSRX. They want you to stitch all your container networking through it. Its probably possible to insert into a devops workflow as well, given that JunOS supports every automation hook under the sun more or less natively (puppet, chef, ansible, python, netconf etc.)

Interesting. Ill have to check that out.

Seems like the same pattern as how vSwitchs went. Instead of using whats built into the hypervisor add vendor x VM and funnel traffic through it.
That1guy15
@that1guy_15